The information we receive, and how we use it, depends on what you do when visiting our web site. We collect and use your non-personal information (information that is not identifiable to you personally) differently than your personal information.
WHAT IS NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Non-personal information is information that we collect through this web site that does not identify you as an individual person. It may include information such as the following:
- the type of web browser software you use (for example, Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer)
- the name of the domain from which you access the Internet
- the Internet address of the web site from which you linked directly to our web site
- the date and time you accessed our web site
- which pages you visited on our web site
- personal information that has been de-identified
If you visit our web site to read or download information, we may collect certain non-personal information about you from your computer. This information is collected from your computer’s web browser. If you only read or download information on our web site, we do not collect or learn your name, e-mail address, home address, or other personal information about you. We may place a text file called a cookie in the browser files of your computer when you visit. The cookie may be stored on your computer’s hard drive. The information that we collect using cookies is non-personal information. You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits; however, some parts of our web site may not work properly for you if you do so. We will not allow third parties to place cookies on our web site.
WHAT DO WE DO WITH NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Because non-personal information cannot identify you or be tied to you in any way, there are no restrictions on the ways that we can use or share non-personal information. We are always looking for ways to better serve you and improve this web site. We will use non-personal information from you to help us make this web site more useful to visitors. We also will use non-personal information for other business purposes. For example, we may use non-personal information or aggregate de-identified personal information to:
- create reports for internal use to develop programs, products, services or content
- customize the information or services that are of interest to you
- share it with or sell it to third parties
- provide aggregated “traffic statistics” and “response rates” to third parties
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information is information we collect through this web site that we can use to specifically identify you, such as your:
- telephone number
- e-mail address
- personal health information, including but not limited to medical condition or type of surgery or implant received
- date of birth
On this web site you have the opportunity to send us personal information about yourself to register your interest on being contacted about receiving information from donors’ families. You also may choose to allow us to personalize your visits to the web site, in which case we will ask you for certain personal information to make your visits to our web site more helpful to you. When this information is combined with the non-personal information that we collect through cookies (described above), we will be able to tell that you have visited our web site before and can personalize your access to our web site, for example, by telling you about new features that may be of interest to you.
HOW DO WE KEEP AND USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may keep and use personal information we collect from you through this web site to provide you with access to this web site and by telling you about new features that may be of interest to you. In addition, we will keep and use your personal information:
- to respond to your requests
- to personalize your access to our web site, for example, by telling you about new features that may be of interest to you
- to develop records, including records of your personal information
- to contact you with information that might be of interest to you, including information about the services you have received
- for analytical purposes and to research, develop and improve programs, products, services and content
- to remove your personal identifiers (your name, e-mail address, social security number, etc). In this case, you would no longer be identified as a single unique individual. Once we have de-identified information, it is non-personal information and we may treat it like other non-personal information.
- to protect our rights or property
- to protect someone’s health, safety or welfare
- to comply with a law or regulation, court order or other legal process
DO YOU EVER SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
We will not sell, exchange or publish your personal information, except in conjunction with a corporate sale, merger, dissolution, or acquisition.
We may be legally compelled to release your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law or regulation. We may cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting web site visitors who violate our rules or engage in behavior which is harmful to other visitors (or illegal).
We may disclose your personal information to third parties if we feel that the disclosure is necessary to:
- protect our rights or property
- protect someone’s health, safety or welfare
- comply with a law or regulation, court order or other legal process
WHAT ABOUT PRIVACY ON OTHER WEB SITES?
DO YOU EVER COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY WITH VISITORS TO THIS WEB SITE?
We may contact you periodically by e-mail, mail or telephone to provide information regarding programs, products, services and content that may be of interest to you. In addition, some of the features on this web site allow you to communicate with us using an online form. If your communication requests a response from us, we will send you a response via e-mail. The e-mail response or confirmation may include your personal information, including personal information about your health, your name, address, etc. We cannot guarantee that our e-mails to you will be secure from unauthorized interception.
ARE THERE SPECIAL RULES ABOUT CHILDREN’S PRIVACY?
We care about protecting the online privacy of children. We will not intentionally collect any personal information (such as a child’s name or e-mail address) from children under the age of 13. If you think that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, please contact us.
WHAT ABOUT WEB SITE SECURITY?
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. You should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever 100% secure or error-free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from this site may not be secure, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail.
HOW TO CONTACT US